|Deviant Login||Shop||Join deviantART for FREE||Take the Tour|
Arcane Treatise 26310,000 Treasure Congee
2 tablespoons black rice
2 tablespoons brown rice
2 tablespoons wild rice
2 tablespoons Job's tears (Yi yi ren)
3 tablespoons millet
1 tablespoon rye berries
4 tablespoons rolled oats, plus extra
1 tablespoon cracked wheat
1/2 cup lotus seeds
3 tablespoons azuki beans
3 tablespoons mung beans
3 tablespoons garbanzo beans
1/2 cup lotus seeds
3 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon miso paste
3 juniper berries, crushed
1/3 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups rice wine or sherry
2 cups vegetable stock or dashi
2 large eggs
2 cups boiling water
1) Soak beans and lotus seeds in wine overnight.
2) Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Once warm, add grains, juniper berries and spices to wok, and stirfry until fragrant. Reduce heat to low, and pour in wine+beans+lotus seeds, and stock. Continue stirfrying until liquid is reduced by one-half.
3) Raise heat to high and bri
Arcane Treatise 262Bandit's Purse Omelette
12 quail eggs
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon miso paste
3 cups dry sherry
2 cups vegetable stock
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons uncooked rice
1 medium onion, sliced
8 large chicken eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons sesame oil
1 large beefsteak tomato, chopped
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon soy or oyster sauce
1 dash 5-spice
1) Refrigerate one and one half cups sherry in a small bowl for one hour. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring one cup stock and remaining sherry to a rolling boil, then let simmer over medium heat. Fold in one-quarter of cilantro and large onion, then add in three quail eggs one by one. When each egg turns opaque, retrieve it with a slotted spoon, and reserve in the refrigerated sherry. Repeat until all quail eggs are poached.
2) Add rice and miso to saucepan. Let simmer at low until liquid is reduced to one-tenth. Remove from heat, and reserve.
Arcane Treatise 261Hot and Cold Dressing
10 small fresh red chiles, stems removed and chopped
10 limes, chopped
2 bunches fresh cilantro
10 ribs celery
1 teaspoon miso paste
1 cup crushed ice
3 bunches fresh mint, chopped
1 teaspoon powdered tumeric
1 tablespoon packed fresh marjoram leaves
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1) Combine chiles with one bunch cilantro and limes in a bowl. Chop five ribs of celery, then toss them into the bowl. Pour in ice, top off with miso, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let bowl sit in refrigerator for one day.
2) Place contents of the bowl into a blender with mint, olive oil, tumeric, marjoram, and honey. Pulse until a smooth liquid. Pour mixture through a square of cheesecloth into a second bowl. Carefully wring cheesecloth of any remaining liquid.
3) Finely chop remaining celery ribs, and cilantro, and toss into dressing. Use or serve immediately.
Arcane Treatise 260Lung Rejuvenating Nectar
4 Anjou pears, cored and quartered
1 Asian pear, cored and quartered
1 tablespoon grated freshly ginger
1 cup passionfruit pulp, strained
1 small Persian cucumber, chopped
2 tablespoons honey
3 ribs celery, chopped
1) Combine all ingredients in a blender with 1 cup water, and pulse until smooth.
2) Pass liquid through a strainer, and drink immediately.
Arcane Treatise 259Xia Hua Shi
1 pound whole tiger prawns (about 16 to 20 individuals)
6 large stalks leek, chopped
6 cups rice wine
1/2 cup black vinegar
1/2 cup minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup minced fresh ginger
10 small fresh chili peppers, chopped
3 tablespoons 5-spice
6 pounds salt + extra
1) Using a pair of kitchen shears, or a small, sharp knife, cut along the center of each shrimp's back, starting from the segment in front of the tail up to the segment behind the head, making an incision one-quarter of an inch deep in the process. If possible, carefully lift the dark back vein out, and discard. Rinse each shrimp in cold running water, pat dry, and reserve in a bowl of wine for two hours.
2) Drain wine into a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then immediately stir in 2 cups boiling water, ginger, garlic, peppers, and 3 pounds of salt. Continue stirring until all salt dissolves. Remove saucepan from heat, fold in leeks, and 5-spice, and let cool until warm.
Arcane Treatise 258Taipei Clam Chowder
5 pounds live freshwater or small saltwater clams
1 large onion, minced
5 ounces slab bacon
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 one small, fresh whole chili pepper
6 cups Chinese rice wine
1 pound diced taro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 pod star anise
4 stalks green onion
2 bunches cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon honey
8 tablespoons shredded nori
1) Rub the bacon with a generous amount of 5-spice, then cut it into half-inch cubes. Set aside while heating the sesame oil in a large wok over medium heat. Once hot, saute the chili, ginger, garlic, star anise, and bacon until fragrant. Now add 1 cup wine, onion, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and honey, stirfrying until the wine boils vigorously. Add another 1 cup of wine, plus 5 clams, and let the wok simmer, covered, at warm heat for half an hour.
2) Pour 2 cups of wine into the wok, and raise the he
Arcane Treatise 257Stanton's Chocolate Trifle
24 ounces freshly baked brownies, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups refrigerated chocolate pudding
1/2 cup milk
14 ounces condensed milk
24 chocolate sugar wafer cookies, broken
20 ounces whipped cream
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 candy bar, chopped
1) Combine pudding, and milks in a bowl, stirring until smooth. Fold in 8 ounces of whipped cream, stirring until smooth, then fold in chocolate chips.
2) In a large serving or trifle bowl, layer half of brownies, then half of the pudding mixture, then half sugar wafers, and 6 ounces whipped cream. Repeat layers until all are consumed. Garnish trifle with candy bar. Refrigerate for 8 hours before serving.
Arcane Treatise 256Papaya Eel Soup
4 pounds fresh fillets of eel
1 large green papaya, peeled and cubed
6 dried scallops
3 large dried Chinese dates
1 large carrot, diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
2 liters dashi
2 teaspoons 5-spice
2 teaspoons miso paste
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1) Rub eel fillets with 5-spices, then miso. Let the fillets sit in a pan for an hour.
2) Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Once oil is warm, fry the fillets until the meat browns. Pour in dashi, add papaya and carrot. Bring to a boil, then add remaining ingredients. Cover wok with a lid, and let simmer for one hour before serving.
Arcane Treatise 255Kani Miso
1 five to six pound live Dungeness crab
1/2 cup sake + extra
1 teaspoon shiro or white miso paste
1/2 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 large egg
1 cup dashi, hot
1) Place the crab in a large bowl. In a very small bowl or dish, combine a spoonful of salt with an equal amount of sake to form a paste. Carefully apply the paste to the mouth and face of the crab, and wait until the crab stops moving. Or, carefully pour rice wine or cooking sherry over the crab's face and mouth. Once the crab is immobilized, turn it onto its back, and insert the sharp point of an oyster knife in between the rim of the back end of the carapace and the base of the apron, and trace along the rim of the carapace with the knife until the body can be pulled away. Make sure all of the innards remain (or are transferred back) in the carapace. Pick out and discard any gills, then reserve the body for another recipe.
2) Heat a
Analysis of the TG GenreThis started out as a collection of thoughts that come up whenever I try to write a new story. They sum up my perception of the genre and hence make for a great starting point whenever I want to write something that is less traditional. Feel free to take any of these ideas and spin them into your own story. I would love to read them if you would leave me a link to your art in the comments.
Please keep in mind while reading this that this is my humble perception of the genre. If you disagree with any of my assumptions please let me know and I will gladly try to learn more.
Let's start from the top. While the term TG is (no pun intended) gender-neutral you immediately notice a tendency towards male to female transformations. I think this is mainly due to the skew in audience preference towards this "direction" of transformation as opposed to the other way. Whenever you do see female to male transformation it is usually accompanied with the main character's transformation into a girl
The Difference Between Villains and Antagonists
Well, it's December. Normally I would spend this time of year rambling about the new Hobbit movie (and trust me, that time will come), but I thought of trying something a little different this year. I sort of had a fanfiction-themed month back in April, and since that lent itself to a few interesting literary topics, I figured why not do another theme month? That's why I'm officially declaring this December my Villain Month.
Discussions about writing villains, lectures on the elements of villains, case-studies on famous villains from fiction -- I'm going to cover as much as I can before the end of the year. There's a lot to blog about, and seeing how we're already a week into December, let's dive in! I'll start with a fairly basic question that's been in my head for a while:
What is the difference between villains and antagonists?
We all know essentially what both of those terms mean, and they're often used interchangeably when discussing movies, books, and other storytelling me
So I Wrote an Essay...Everyone who watched cartoons as a child is familiar with the popular persona of SpongeBob Squarepants and his crazy aquatic friends. I want to bring to mind one specific episode of the long-running show, one regarding the affair of imagination. It seems like a silly thing to mention, but this installment perfectly demonstrates this topic by which I am so captivated. To briefly summarize the moral of the episode, imagination is the key to enjoying simple things.
Now, this statement is obviously true of the early stages of one's life, when a creative mind is a crucial component of a child's learning experience and development into a healthy individual. While I have never been athletic, self-confident, even all that courteous, I would consider my childhood to be quite rich because of the presence of that vital imagination. I have met literal, shallow people without a scrap of imagination in their entire personality, and those people almost frighten me. The words "it's not real" are the w
Bronies from a Sociological Perspective"When I came into Star Trek with Patrick, the Star Trek fan base had already been established. I feel like I’m at the beginning and watching of a new fan base and I want to invite you who are Trek fans to embrace Friendship Is Magic fans because I discovered that we all have a lot in common."
-John de Lancie, Star Trek actor and My Little Pony voice actor
On October 10, 2010, the Hub Network aired the premiere of a reboot of My Little Pony called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It’s creator, Lauren Faust, intended for the show to appeal to not only the children it was marketed toward, but also to adults who either grew up with the original series or were forced to watch it with their kids. She succeeded, but not in the way or to the extent she thought she would.
After the show’s premiere various internet sites, particularly 4-chan, began to explode with discussion and jokes. From there, word spread throughout the internet and My Little Pony gained a fandom of adu
Influence Personality PsychologySocial Influence
What causes us to obey to authority figures such as police, teachers and politicians and why do people conform to social norms? A number of psychologists have tries to explain obedience and social influence, and in this section of Psychologist World we look at studies, theories and explanations of the influences we succumb to in every day life.
The events of World War II and the Holocaust, in which millions were sacrificed by soldiers' willingness to obey to authority figues in Nazi Germany raise questions as to why people are willing to bypass their own values and morals in favour of another person's.
The first form of influence in our lives comes from the roles we see ourselves as fulfilling, explaining why some groups of society behave in a similar way en mass. For example, a student in school will usually treat their teacher with more respect than, say, another child. When they leave school, they will act differently towards different people dependi
Good morning (251) bitterness Thoughtصباح الخير (251) مرارة الفكر
السلام عليكم والعام السابع بعون الله نبدأه بصباح جديد تقبل الله منا ومنكم صالح الأعمال:
نقره لتكبير أو تصغير الصورة ونقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة
Seven of Nine vs. Kes
How did one of "Star Trek's" most fascinating characters earn a sizable hatred, just for replacing some Tinkerbell imposter? On the other hand, maybe Kes doesn't deserve the hate she gets either; she's like, two years old, give her a break! Only one thing is certain; there isn't enough room for two cheesecakes on Voyager! Who will be victorious? Which assets will prove more powerful--ESP, or Borg nanoprobes? Mini-skirts, or catsuits? We list the pros of each, and you decide!
Reasons Seven of Nine Pawns Kes:
1.) Seven is accused of being a copy of Data, the best TNG character ever. Kes is accused of copying Troi. What does that say?
2.) How many ex-Borg characters existed in sci-fi before Seven? How many ESP fairy-princesses before Kes?
3.) "The fun will now commence."
4.) Seven chooses Chakotay. Kes chooses Neelix…
5.) Hey! Looks aren't what matters! Think about brains, and personality! ….Seven chooses Chakotay…and Kes picks Neelix…
6.) Seven's evil
Scottish GlossaryScottish English
Ah ya bastart Ouch, that hurt
Am no I am not
A-wiz-nae I was not
Anno I know
Bairn Baby/small child
Baltic Really cold
Blootered Very drunk
Boggin Smelly, dirty
Burn Small river
Cunt Either an insult, as part of a threat or as a general word for referring to others
Cummoan let´s go/please talk sense/also is the same as “Come on”
Chib to cut or stab something
Diddy Did he? Also means idiot and female breasts
Dinnae Do not or did not
Donder A walk
Fanny Stupid person/wimp
Feert to be scared, afraid, terrified
Fit means “what” in Aberdeen area
Gantin Smelly or really wanting something
Geez to give
Arcane Treatise 041Pumpkin Mushroom Bisque
one 6 pound whole pumpkin
5 ounces dry cloud ear fungus
5 ounces dry wood ear fungus
3 cups rice wine
10 button mushrooms, sliced
3 cups chicken broth
3 roma tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cup milk
1 teaspoon 5-Spice
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1) Soak cloud, and wood ear fungi in wine, in a large saucepan for 1 hour. Once fungi are soft, remove them from the saucepan, slice them, then reserve them. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Cut top off of pumpkin, prick surface with a knife, then scoop guts out into the saucepan. Reserve the shell and top. Pour in sesame oil and chicken broth to the saucepan, then stir over low heat until the pulp begins to disintegrates.
3) Strain the liquid out of the saucepan and into the pumpkin shell. Discard the guts. Stir in the eggs, tomato, and button mushrooms to the shell, stirring until the eggs are blended with the broth. Place top back onto the shell, a
Keep in Touch!
^Nyx-Valentine arrived in our community and started whipping everyone into a frenzy with her relentless desire to bring the Artistic Nude and Fetish galleries to the fore. 9 years later, and it's safe to say that Nyx is not only a leader as a photographer in these galleries, but she has also established herself as a much saught after model. ^... Read More