|Deviant Login||Shop||Join deviantART for FREE||Take the Tour|
Arcane Treatise 260Lung Rejuvenating Nectar
4 Anjou pears, cored and quartered
1 Asian pear, cored and quartered
1 tablespoon grated freshly ginger
1 cup passionfruit pulp, strained
1 small Persian cucumber, chopped
2 tablespoons honey
3 ribs celery, chopped
1) Combine all ingredients in a blender with 1 cup water, and pulse until smooth.
2) Pass liquid through a strainer, and drink immediately.
Arcane Treatise 259Xia Hua Shi
1 pound whole tiger prawns (about 16 to 20 individuals)
6 large stalks leek, chopped
6 cups rice wine
1/2 cup black vinegar
1/2 cup minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup minced fresh ginger
10 small fresh chili peppers, chopped
3 tablespoons 5-spice
6 pounds salt + extra
1) Using a pair of kitchen shears, or a small, sharp knife, cut along the center of each shrimp's back, starting from the segment in front of the tail up to the segment behind the head, making an incision one-quarter of an inch deep in the process. If possible, carefully lift the dark back vein out, and discard. Rinse each shrimp in cold running water, pat dry, and reserve in a bowl of wine for two hours.
2) Drain wine into a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then immediately stir in 2 cups boiling water, ginger, garlic, peppers, and 3 pounds of salt. Continue stirring until all salt dissolves. Remove saucepan from heat, fold in leeks, and 5-spice, and let cool until warm.
Arcane Treatise 258Taipei Clam Chowder
5 pounds live freshwater or small saltwater clams
1 large onion, minced
5 ounces slab bacon
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 one small, fresh whole chili pepper
6 cups Chinese rice wine
1 pound diced taro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 pod star anise
4 stalks green onion
2 bunches cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon honey
8 tablespoons shredded nori
1) Rub the bacon with a generous amount of 5-spice, then cut it into half-inch cubes. Set aside while heating the sesame oil in a large wok over medium heat. Once hot, saute the chili, ginger, garlic, star anise, and bacon until fragrant. Now add 1 cup wine, onion, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and honey, stirfrying until the wine boils vigorously. Add another 1 cup of wine, plus 5 clams, and let the wok simmer, covered, at warm heat for half an hour.
2) Pour 2 cups of wine into the wok, and raise the he
Arcane Treatise 257Stanton's Chocolate Trifle
24 ounces freshly baked brownies, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups refrigerated chocolate pudding
1/2 cup milk
14 ounces condensed milk
24 chocolate sugar wafer cookies, broken
20 ounces whipped cream
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 candy bar, chopped
1) Combine pudding, and milks in a bowl, stirring until smooth. Fold in 8 ounces of whipped cream, stirring until smooth, then fold in chocolate chips.
2) In a large serving or trifle bowl, layer half of brownies, then half of the pudding mixture, then half sugar wafers, and 6 ounces whipped cream. Repeat layers until all are consumed. Garnish trifle with candy bar. Refrigerate for 8 hours before serving.
Arcane Treatise 256Papaya Eel Soup
4 pounds fresh fillets of eel
1 large green papaya, peeled and cubed
6 dried scallops
3 large dried Chinese dates
1 large carrot, diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
2 liters dashi
2 teaspoons 5-spice
2 teaspoons miso paste
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1) Rub eel fillets with 5-spices, then miso. Let the fillets sit in a pan for an hour.
2) Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Once oil is warm, fry the fillets until the meat browns. Pour in dashi, add papaya and carrot. Bring to a boil, then add remaining ingredients. Cover wok with a lid, and let simmer for one hour before serving.
Arcane Treatise 255Kani Miso
1 five to six pound live Dungeness crab
1/2 cup sake + extra
1 teaspoon shiro or white miso paste
1/2 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 large egg
1 cup dashi, hot
1) Place the crab in a large bowl. In a very small bowl or dish, combine a spoonful of salt with an equal amount of sake to form a paste. Carefully apply the paste to the mouth and face of the crab, and wait until the crab stops moving. Or, carefully pour rice wine or cooking sherry over the crab's face and mouth. Once the crab is immobilized, turn it onto its back, and insert the sharp point of an oyster knife in between the rim of the back end of the carapace and the base of the apron, and trace along the rim of the carapace with the knife until the body can be pulled away. Make sure all of the innards remain (or are transferred back) in the carapace. Pick out and discard any gills, then reserve the body for another recipe.
2) Heat a
Arcane Treatise 254Fongli Yaoji
3 pounds beefsteak tomato, chopped
3 pounds watermelon, chopped
3 pounds fresh pineapple, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
2 tablespoons honey
2 bunches fresh mint, chopped
2 cups green tea, cooled
1) Combine tomato, watermelon, pineapple, ginger, and mint in a blender, and blend until smooth.
2) Thoroughly wet, then wring dry a large square of cheesecloth before lining a large strainer or colander. Place strainer or colander over a large bowl, and strain blended mixture into the bowl, pausing every so often to squeeze and wring the cheesecloth into the bowl.
3) Stir the tea and honey into the bowl, stirring until completely blended. Refrigerate for at least one hour, or until cold, before serving.
SolaceShe never slept well in the dark,
not without the children of the sun and moon
to guide her weary lids home.
Guided by the aftermath, she was always two steps behind.
What did the world look like to the girl who had been through it all?
Braved the heaviest of storms,
yet skipping over cracks in the pavement.
They said her eyes were the wisps of clouds before the storm.
To him they were reflections of pages overlooked.
She said it was like she lived the life of someone she had never met.
Laid out to dry, yesterdays news.
He knew her as the girl who was built to never collapse.
He wished he was too.
He loved her more than words could say, and yet her pain was such,
that at times, he feared she wouldn’t make it.
But on nights like these, even when it threatened to consume her,
he became convinced that somehow she would.
Keep in Touch!